Titus, a gentile (Greek), one of Paul's converts and a considerable help to Paul
in his ministry. Titus along with Timothy and few others seems to be the key men
on whom Paul relied on for tough tasks and spiritual support.
Key events - post conversion:
1 Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also.
2 I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain.
3 Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek.
Accompanies Paul to Jerusalem as a visible example of God's grace to gentiles.
2 Corinthians 8:16-18
16 I thank God, who put into the heart of Titus the same concern I have for you.
17 For Titus not only welcomed our appeal, but he is coming to you with much enthusiasm and on his own initiative.
18 And we are sending along with him the brother who is praised by all the churches for his service to the gospel.
Chosen by Paul as his own representative to deliver the challenging letters to the Corinthian Church.
4 To Titus, my true son in our common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
5 The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed you.
Left behind in Crete to build and disciple the Church.
2 Timothy 4:10
for Demas, because he loved this world, has deserted me and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia.
Last records show him serving at Dalmatia.
Questions to ponder:
1. Of all the gentile converts ,why did Paul choose Titus to accompany him to Jerusalem?
2. Considering the challenges that Paul was addressing to the Corinth Church (through his letter) why do you think he chose Titus to deliver and also relied on him to carry the response back?
3. Why did Paul trust Titus to replace him at Crete?
4. How would you explain the relationship between Paul and Titus?
5. Write down three outstanding characters of Titus that made him a capable and resourceful leader?
- How can we be a visible example of God's transformation to a spiritually dead world?
- What character of Titus would you like to imitate?
- How can we be resourceful for the Mission?