Definitely not a jew but one raised in the Greek culture of that time. He is the only Greek convert who got a chance to be in the books of the Bible. He was certainly a doctor of that time and also a disciple and a companion of Paul in his Missionary journeys. As a writer of the Gospel of Luke, he records 35 parables altogether, 19 of which are only mentioned in his Gospel.Luke mentions six miracles of the Lord that no one else mentions. If the Holy Spirit had never inspired Luke to write, we would never have known about the Good Samaritan, the rich fool, the prodigal son, and the rich man and Lazarus.
The Book of Acts forms the essential link between the Gospels and the Epistles.Without the book of Acts,we would have no idea how the churches in the NT period( Rome, Corinth, Galatia ..) came about.
In the Book of Acts, there are 3 "We"-Sections, ( Acts16:10 - 40, Acts20: 5 - 21, Acts 27:1 - 28). These are passages where Luke includes himself in the narrative because he was with Paul in his Missionary journeys.
1. Luke used his medical training and ability as a missionary as a tool to advance the Gospel. He could have used this to make a fortune for himself, but we see him having a heart for the Mission work.
2. We don't see Luke calling attention to himself but rather giving Glory to Jesus and the works of the Holy Spirit.
3. Luke demonstrated loyalty to his friend Paul. He stuck close to Paul in his darkest hours when every one else had left him ( 2 tim 4:11). Going through times like this (2 Cor 11:23 - 27), how often would Paul have thanked God for a fellow labourer and loyal friend like Luke!
4. Luke was actively involved in Paul's ministry as a co-labourer ( Col 4:14, Philemon 24) and used his own personal writing ability to effectively touch and impact the hearts of many. Not only changing lives, the Gospel of Luke and the book of Acts did build up the body of Christ throughout the World.
5. Luke was submissive to the leadership of the Lord. He was committed to follow where ever the Lord led.
1. ARE WE AWARE OF THE ABILITIES / TALENTS GOD HAS BLESSED US WITH?
LETS LIST IT AND USE IT FOR THE GLORY OF GOD AND HIS CHURCH.
2. LUKE'S PRESENCE WAS A GREAT ENCOURAGEMENT FOR PAUL. CAN WE DECIDE AND DEVELOP A PARTNERSHIP WITH OUR SPIRITUAL MENTOR TO WORK TOGETHER TO DO SOMETHING THAT WILL BRING GLORY TO GOD?.