Beautiful explanation by Swami Vivekananda:
Explaining the meaning of 'Association'. He said:
"The rain drop from the sky:
- If it is caught in hands, it is pure enough for drinking.
- If it falls in a gutter, its value drops so much that it can't be used even for washing the feet.
- If it falls on hot surface, it perishes.
- If it falls on lotus leaf, it shines like a pearl
- And finally, if it falls on oyster, it becomes a pearl.
The drop is same, but its existence & worth depend on with whom it associates."
Always be associated with people who are good at heart.