a. Matthew 18:1-4
1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"
2 He called a little child and had him stand among them.
3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
1. What kind of heart does God want us to have?
2. What qualities of children do we need to imitate?
b. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-14
12 Now we ask you, brothers, to respect those who work hard among you, who are over you in the Lord and who admonish you.
13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other.
14 And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
1. Who is "over you" in the Lord?
2. Does it have anything to do with age or education?
3. Write the names of some Christians who work hard, set a good example and admonish you.
4. Are you showing them respect?
5. What kind of disciples need special help (v.14)
6. Have you been admonished for any of these problems?
c. Psalm 119:99-100
99 I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes.
100 I have more understanding than the elders, for I obey your precepts.
1. What gives us real maturity and understanding?
2. How is verse 100 opposite of how our society thinks?
3. What should your attitude be when you are being taught / discipled / corrected by someone younger than yourself?
d. 1 Timothy 4:11-12
11 Command and teach these things.
12 Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
1. What does the Lord expect from young leaders?
5. Psalm 32:8-10
8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.
10 Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in him.
1. How can you not be like a horse or mule?
If you have resisted learning from younger disciples, repent today and seek them out to ask questions. If you are young yourself, set the believers a great example!