We are going to start this Bible talk with a short debate.
Bible Talk leader divides the audience into 2 teams.
The topic is: Physical Training Vs Spiritual Training.
One team speaks on Physical Training being of greater value than Spiritual Training.The second team speaks on Spiritual Training being of greater value than Physical Training.
Rules of the debate
1. Players keep alternating from Team 1 to Team 2. So first 1 player from Team 1 speaks and then 1 player from Team 2 speaks and play switches between Team 1 and Team 2.
2. Every player in both teams will get a chance to speak.
3. If a player speaks continuously for 20 seconds without any objection raised by the opposition team, the team gets 10 points.
4. If the player speaks continuously for 30 seconds without any objection raised by the opposition team, the team gets 20 points.
5. Any member of the opposition team may raise an objection by raising his/her hand. If the objection is sustained by the Bible Talk leader, the opposition team gets 10 points. However, if the objection is overruled by the Bible Talk leader, the team speaking will get a bonus 10 points.
6. You may raise objections if the speaker makes 3 errors or more or if he or she pauses for at least 5 seconds. An error is a repeating sentence or idea or a pause for 2 or more seconds.
C: Today we are going to discuss the whole idea of training.
1 Timothy 4:7-8
7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.
8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
Q: According to verse 8, what does the Bible say about physical training? Is it good? Is it of value to us? [YES.]
C: Verse 8 says that Physical training is of some value to us.
Q: What value does Physical training give us? [Keeps us healthy and physically fit. Longer lifespan. Stamina. Free from sickness
and disease. We can do more in a day without getting tired. We feel better about life!]
Q: What can we do to get physically trained? [Exercise / Go to the gym and work out / Eat the right kind of foods – low fat, low
sugar, high fibre / Eat lots of fruit and vegetables / Jogging / Walking / Running, Swimming / Play vigorous sports – Football, Basketball, Squash, Tennis, Volleyball, etc.]
Q: According to the Bible, is physical training the best training available for our lives? [NO]
Q: Is there anything better than physical training? [YES]
Q: What is that? [GODLINESS TRAINING. Training yourself to be godly]
Q: Why is godly training better than physical training?
What does it say here in verse 8? [Godliness has value for all things.
It holds promise for both the present life and the life to come.]
Q: Physical training is for our body, right? [YES]
Q: Is our body going to last forever? [NO. Our bodies will perish. We will all die.]
Q: So how long does the value of physical training last? [Only as long as we are alive in this world. The value of physical training stops when we die, when our bodies decay and perish]
C: Let’s learn more about godliness training.
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Q: Besides the body, what do we all have? [A soul]
C: The body does not last forever. It dies.
People can kill your body. But what about your soul?
Q: Can any person destroy your soul? [NO]
Q: Can physical sickness or disease kill your soul? [NO]
Q: Can old age kill your soul? [NO]
Q: Who can destroy your soul? [ONLY GOD]
Q: What does verse 28 say we need to do to guard our souls? [We need to fear God]
C: Only God can destroy your soul and only God can protect your soul.
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.
26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?
Q: Jesus is speaking here. What is Jesus saying here iin verse 26? [You can gain the whole world and yet forfeit your soul]