Opening Question: "What is the most difficult task you've ever attempted?"
9 This is the account of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God.
10 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth.
11 Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence.
12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways.
13 So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.
1. Q: What are some of the corrupt evil things in today's world that God hates?
A: Sexual immorality/pornography, lying, racism, greed, etc ...
2. Q: What can we do to destroy these things?
A: Not participate in them Not approve of others who do these things
14 So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out.
15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high.
16 Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.
17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.
18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark--you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you.
19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you.
20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive.
21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them."
GOD GIVES NOAH A TREMENDOUSLY DIFFICULT TASK!!
3. Q: What are some of the difficult things God has asked us to do?
A: - Share our faith
- Always seek first His Kingdom
- Repent of ALL sin
- Help the poor
- Trust him fully
4. Q: Why is it so difficult to trust God fully?
A: - Taught and trained by the world not to trust
- Satan works at causing us to doubt.
5. Q: What has God given us to help us live the Christian life and trust him?
A: - Evidences
- The Bibles' truths
- Jesus' life and sacrifice
- Friends who are also serving God
- The promise of Heaven (DESCRIBE YOUR PICTURE OF HEAVEN)
- The fear of Hell
Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
NOAH BEGINS TO BUILD:
6. Q: What temptations do you think he faced during the building?
A: - To compromise on the size of the boat (NB - Hydraulic engineers use the ratio 12:2:1 today for the best stability) Thus changing the dimensions would be fatal.
- To doubt whether the flood would happen
- His neighbors must have ridiculed him
- Family probably started complaining
- To grumble against God because of their personal sacrifice involved in building the ark (giving up his home, Sunday afternoon naps, etc ...)
7. Q: What temptations do we face today?
A: - To compromise on Gods' word (give examples).
- To doubt whether judgment will really take place.
- To be discouraged by people ridiculing us