Opening Question: "What is one of the most difficult decisions you've ever had to make?"
11 Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.
12 It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?"
13 Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?"
14 No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
15 See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction.
16 For I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commands, decrees and laws; then you will live and increase, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.
17 But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them,
18 I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.
19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live
20 and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
1. V11 - Q: Why is it difficult to live the Christian life?
A: - Peer pressure
- Time pressure (schedule)
- Disciplined life (resisting temptations eg selfishness, Laziness, impurity, greed)
2. V12-14 - Q: Yet God says its not to difficult. What has he given us to make it easy?
A: - Evidences to know this is the truth
- Friendships that are real, to encourage, correct and rebuke
- The Bible
- Jesus' example and love answered prayers
3. V14 - Q: How do PEOPLE try and make it easier?
A: - Rationalize the truth
- Compromise on the standards. Read 2 Timothy 4:3~4
V15 Talks about the seriousness of this.
4: Q: What does it mean to love God and walk His ways?
A: - Time with Him (listening and talking) - 1 hour a day
- Radical about sin
- Being a disciple - purpose to help people to get closer to God
- Helping the poor
5. V17 - Q: What things can draw us away from God, that we worship?
A: - Possessions, money, cars, etc careers, varsity, power popularity (peoples' opinions) our own God - different characteristics than the God of the Bible.
6. V19 - Q: Since this is such a clear choice why do so many people choose wrong?
A: - Fear, laziness, lack of respect or love for God.