Living in this world there are different duties that we need to perform daily, the mostimportant duty of all is that of being a parent.
Through our life and the way we live and what we do we are influencing and shaping the life of another human being and preparing them to go and face this world.
We can either help them to be fully equipped or ill equipped to face this world.
6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.
7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
Itís our duty as parents to train our children and teach them all about God. Wherever we are, whatever we do, God should be in everything we do, so that our children grow up knowing God through our life.
1. Be A Godly Example
Firstly in the area of love and respect.
22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
- Do your children see love/true love and respect for one another in your marriage? As husbands/fathers do our children see us being gentle, caring, sensitive and serving towards your wife/mother? Do they see you concerned about the needs of one another?
- Wives/mothers do they see you loving and respecting your husband and serving him.
- It is the duty of the parents to provide an atmosphere of love in the family. Love shown between parents bring security to children.
In a family where there is insensitivity and constant arguments or fights, the children wiil grow up insecure and tend to be disobedient and rebellious.
- In our families we should verbally express our love to one another. Say ďI love youĒ often. We should also physically demonstrate our love for one another by hugging and being affectionate.
- What is going to bond you with your kids is not the costly toys or clothes that you buy them, its not the best school that you send them to, its not the chocolates or the food that you provide them with. Itís your love that you express to them and you taking the time out to show them and to tell them that you love them, that will bond the children to you. Never treat your children like they were a burden. Thatís the most unloving thing to do.
Secondly in the area of spirituality.
2 Timothy 3:14-16
14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it,
15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
- As parents we should not set a double standard. Whatever you expect your children to do, you should already be doing it. Our children should learn about God and about righteousness form their parents not in child care or at church or from some other disciples. Donít just tell them what to do, teach them from the Bible.
- Itís our responsibility as a parent to raise our family to be spiritual. Do your children see you reading your Bible and praying daily? Do they see you practising what you claim to follow? Do they see you sharing your faith? Do you expect your children not to lie or get
angry, use bad language, fight, not miss meetings? And do they see you doing the same?
- Do your children see you making spiritual decisions in your life by taking advise from other leaders? Do they see you obeying Godís word and respecting it?
- Our families will only be as spiritual as we are as the parents.
- As parents its our duty to set the standard for spirituality in our families.
2. Be A Provider
51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart.
52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
- If we want our families to grow up in wisdom, stature and favour with God and men, we need to be a provider for them.
- Itís our duty as parents to provide a healthy all round atmosphere for the children to grow up in. In our first point we saw how an atmosphere of love and spirituality can make a child secure.
- Besides that we also need to provide a stable atmosphere for our children to grow up in. Be organised and disciplined on a daily basis. Make a schedule depending on your work and put in time for ministry and family. A daily pattern helps bring stability to the childrenís life. They will know what to expect and when.
- We need to provide opportunities for the emotional needs of our family to be met. Have a very open relationship with one another, especially our children. Make time to listen to them. Ask them everyday about their time in school and their friends. If they experienced
something painful donít ignore their feelings but find out how they feel and sympathize with them.
- Discuss in an unemotional way their feelings toward you, negative or positive. Provide an atmosphere of love and encouragement for your family, not just discipline. A word of encouragement goes a long way. These are little ways in which we can provide opportunities for our families to meet their daily needs.
We need to take very seriously our role as parents and fulfill the duties that we have as a parent. Always take godly advise by talking to your leaders and others.